Friday, August 14, 2009

Resuming the Evening with Jeff Goldblum - The Fly

This evenings review is going to be a shorter one for 2 reasons. One, it's a good movie and gushing isn't funny and two, if I discuss it too much I'll spoil it. Anyway, enough excuses, on to the review.

In The Fly a much younger Jeff Goldblum plays (can you guess?) a quirky scientist. I wonder if it was this role that sealed his fate to play eccentric genius characters for the bulk of his career? I certainly wouldn't be surprised as this movie good enough to try and immitate for years to come. But then again he plays a much more tragic, romantic and sympathetic character than his other roles in which he is the wise-cracking smart arse to play off the "straight man" which is usually more the tense situation than another person. "Romantic?" I hear you ask, yes that's right playing the role of Jeff's penis recipient today is his future ex-wife Geena Davis, who is also much younger and looking quite appetising indeed (if I focus on her I can tune out the fact that a young, muscle-bound Jeff Goldblum is doing pull ups without a shirt on). The film is often described as a romantic horror and I think this is a pretty good way of pigeon-holing it. As all horror films do The Fly does really cool special effects. It has that organic wonder where it looks both fake and convincing at the same time. Parts will gross you out and horrify you but all the while you'll be thinking "how'd they DO that?" Now I've already stated that I like the movie, BUT that said I wouldn't go about just recommending it willy nilly. It's sad, it's themes get a bit heavy and it's graphic on several occasions. In other words, it's not for pussies. But it's these things that make it great. On top of that it's very human. Humanity really doesn't pop up in movies as much as you'd think. You only really notice it's been absent after being exposed to it and when you are it's fairly refreshing. So that's about all I can say really, The Fly is good if you've got the balls to stomach it.

You can see why I felt I should keep it short now, right?

No comments: